The Art Of Shredding

Two blog posts in two days! Crazy I know.

So I broke character today and asked a girl for her number. For those of you that know me, you can assure the rest of the studio audience just how insanely non-Nick like this behavior is.

I got turned down. But the story leading up to it is cool and so is how it ends.

~

I'm shopping for a cello bow. My roommate has many electric guitars that she does not play so I wanted to dabble in the art of playing a guitar with a bow. Guitar Center had none but they recommended I go to this mom and pop place down Pico.

The indie joint was so much cooler than GC. Low ceilings, a bunch of old dudes, people talking about hammer ons and pull offs (or whatever it is guitar people talk about). Beaming like a beacon of light from the crowd was a certain young woman. She had a really nice smile that beckoned me to ask her a question. I opened my mouth but forgot that I'm recovering from a cold so i need to clear my throat first before I speak. So I coughed right at her face. She laughs. Good sign.

At a loss for words I quickly recover and ask if she has any bows for playing. She explains that the bows are in the back. I ask some stupid bow questions like 'so whats better? a cello bow or violin bow' straining to sound like I'm a guitar regular and am merely doing this to entertain my vast talent. 'Does it need resin?' I coolly ask. 'Umm resin is what helps the strings vibrate so yes you would need resin' she states matter-of-factly. Thwarted by her obvious knowledge and brutally pretty eyes I start to shrink away 'ok well I guess I'll just look up some on ebay then'.

'Would you like me to show you one?' she asked, 'sure if you have the time' I reply.

So we go to the hall closet and she pulls out a bow, I ask some more dumb questions like how long do the strings last and what does HH mean (HH means horse hair). While she is explaining things to me I cant help but notice she has this totally groovy snake tatoo on her ankle and lower calf. Every time our eyes meet I fail at holding back a smile, and she seems to have the same problem. After what seems like just mere seconds our encounter is over and I'm out the door driving away.


...

eh, what the hell.

I hang a Uey at a light and make my appearance back into the guitar shop. 'Oh your back' she cheerily replies, 'sure am'...she is working on a guitar stringing the neck. Girls that play guitar are keepers I've been told. 'So would it be dumb if I asked for your number' was the best i could muster, I didn't even make eye contact when I said it. She bites her bottom lip 'no its not dumb, but I have a boy friend'. I can feel my face heating up, all the blood is rushing from my arms to my face, my hands go clammy. 'Oh ok, well um I guess it was kinda dumb then'

A skinny guy who was getting something from under the counter we were at stands up and announces 'I'm her boyfriend'. I freeze and force a smile. 'No your not, don't be mean' she chides and he gives me a goofy smile cause he knows whats up. 'Well I'm very flattered, whats your name?' she extends her arm. I take her hand 'Im Nick', 'I'm Julie'. Her face has turned red as well. I breath out in relief, at least we both feel awkward. 'Good luck with your bow playing' I turn to leave, 'Thanks I will, I'll be back probably, see yah later.'

I'll be back? What possessed me to say that? What a creeper. Ladies if a guy says something that sounds a little creepy, don't always assume he's a weirdo. It could just be that he is totally uncool and doesn't know what to say.

~

Happy New Year ya'll. Music of the week is Amon Tobin. Show of the week is How I Met Your Mother.

0 comments: