The Art of Art

Art is a wonderful yet squirrely event. I love art, I am an artist, I enjoy seeing art. What had spoiled art for me in the past is all the other people who are around me when I'm enjoying art in public. My film festival experience aside, what ruins art is the "art crowd". I seethe with disdain when I'm in a gathering with "artsy folks". I can't really put my finger on why, but a lot like gaydar; you know it when you see it.

That being said I attended an art exhibit tonight. It was for Eric Joyner, an tremendous artist with a style and subject all his own. I highly suggest taking a look at www.ericjoyner.com and enjoying his works. The crowd at this art show was not the typical art people. I think it was the donuts being served in the open bar. That really seemed to keep it low key. You can't take yourself too seriously when your eating a donut looking at a Rockwellesque painting of a 1950's era robot riding an Indian motorcycle.

I did get to meet my first Internet celeb and friend tonight. Steve Sneeds operates his blog www.thesneeze.com. I've been a fan of the sneeze since my junior year of college and in a not so weird sense Steve was my only friend I had on the West Coast. Having read 4 years worth of Steve's blog and finally getting to meet him tonight at the Eric Joyner show was surreal. He is a gracious man with a gorgeous and equally gracious wife. I highly recommend that his blog to any adult who enjoys crude, whimsical, absurd and sublime humor.

~

Music of the week is Pink Floyd's first album Piper at the Gates of Dawn. It's really kooky and I loved it. Checkity check the new fall series coming up. Heroes hopefully won't suck and The Office hopefully won't disintegrate into whiny breakup melodrama.

0 comments: