Whirlybirds

All is quiet in the La Cienega Heights district of Los Angeles. It's a placid nocturne and as the clock strikes 2 am Nickolas Dimondi is sleeping peacefully.

Enter the villain; Helicopter.

Pounding shock waves and the piercing whine of high pressure components break the silence as a austere white lights breaks through the venetian blinds. Am I being abducted? Is this the CDC scene from E.T. being played out before me? No it's the LAPD hunting a crook 3 blocks from my house. The chopper circles the block flying right over my house. It repeats this maneuver for about 30 minutes. If you want to enjoy the spectacle of having a helicopter fly within arms reach of your roof then just follow these simple steps.

1. Pull your lawnmower out of your garage or shed.
2. Fill it up with high grade fuel.
3. Place it in your bedroom and turn it on

Now you have a close representation of what happens here in the City of Angels. In North Carolina helicopters are rare heavenly creatures. You see a news chopper here or some Apache's coming from Ft. Bragg there. In LA though, helicopters are more like pigeons. With 17 high speed chases a day and countless nuevo riche the city is rife for vertical take off and landing.

Much to the dismay of your hero and his very light sleeping habits.

~

I've had no internets the past few days so I'm catching up on all of the activity in the lives of others (read: I'm checking facebook). Music of the day is probably Rush, namely the song YYZ. Word of the day is Cat, because I'm living with one now.

0 comments: