Almost Eaten by Bears

This past week I was in the mountainous regions north of LA. I was working at a YMCA camp in Angeles National Forest. What makes Angeles National Forest special is because it's biome only found in a handful of other place around the world. The fire prone Chaparral is a Mediterranean desert; with warm dry summers and cool wet winters. That being said it is a home to bears, and last night around 1:30am when I wanted to hike up to a peak in the middle of the valley I was told that it would be stupid to go up to Raggers Point alone and if I were to go I had to bring a gun. Which I didn't have. So I didn't go.

~

Awards and reviews are a funny business. They are entirely different from a show being popular and making money. Here is the break down.

Awards and critical acclaim allow an actor/director/producer to get better work and sometimes easier work.

Popularity goes hand in hand with money. Your show may suck (Joey) but people love it (it was on for 46 episodes). Can Jerry Springer do much else other than his show and some appearances on America's Got Talent? No, not really. But make no mistake, Jerry is a rich man. If what you do is popular you'll get more work.

Now there are exceptions to the rule like Firefly. Firefly was both popular and well critiqued but due to network oversight it was hamstrung by the airing of it's second episode first which threw viewers for a loop.

~

Quote of the week was by 10 year old Jackson: "i need a lot of money to be happy." Music of the week is ATB and there is no show of the week since I was in the sticks.

P.S. As of Sept 1st I will be unemployed which means I'll be able to blog a lot more.

0 comments: